Monday 11 April 2011

Journal Entry #3

Write down a passage or quote that appeals to you and describe why?

 Caesar: “Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what’s her name?”

Peeta: “Well, there is this one girl. I’ve had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I’m pretty sure she didn’t know I was alive until the reaping.”

Caesar: “She have another fellow?”

Peeta: “I don’t know, but a lot of boys like her.”

Caesar: “So, here’s what you do. You win, you go home. She can’t turn you down then, eh?”
Peeta: “I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning…won’t help in my case”


Caesar: “Why ever not?”

Peeta: “Because…because…she came here with me.” (pg.132)

This quote appealed to me immensely and I had the biggest grin on my face when I read it. This is when Peeta first openly admits his love for Katniss. Thus drastically changing the rest of the games for both of them. Not only did I enjoy how he presented that it was Katniss, but I also enjoyed the fact that he loved her making the entire story so much more attention grabbing. Slowly Katniss’s love for Peeta would grow also but in the mean time this came as a shock to everyone. It added so much depth to the story and made it much more relatable in the process. Had it not been for this simple conversation, I don’t believe this book would have been as amazing as it was. In fact it may have just been down right bad. One of the biggest issues Katniss faces is choosing between life and love and had Peeta never confessed his feelings, the choice would have been made a whole lot easier, ruining this book in the process. That is why I found this quote so pleasing as well as interesting.